Durham VA Health Care System
Get Your Flu Shot
September 18, 2020
Don’t risk it. Flu shots save lives! Last year, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimated more than 410,000 flu hospitalizations and more than 24,000 deaths in the United States during the flu season. Flu vaccination is the best protection we have in fighting and controlling seasonal influenza.
Flu shots are more important than ever during the COVID-19 pandemic as symptoms are very similar. Both COVID-19 and flu can lead to severe illness and death. COVID-19 prevention strategies, such as wearing a face covering, washing hands frequently and practicing physical distancing are also effective against the spread of flu.
We are offering flu shots via our Durham VA Drive-up Flu Clinic, which will begin on October 1st through October 30th, from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., Mondays through Fridays. Veterans are asked to use the Fulton Street entrance and to proceed to the parking area on the side of the main building. In November, hours will be 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., Mondays and Fridays only.
On October 1, 2020, from 9:00 a.m. to 3 p.m., Monday through Friday, the Greenville Health Care Center will be offering Drive-thru Flu shots for Veterans at 401 Moye Blvd., Greenville, North Carolina 27834.
Additionally, the Morehead City Community Based Outpatient Clinic (CBOC) will be offering drive-thru flu shots beginning October 1, 2020, from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m., Monday through Friday, at 5420 US-70, Morehead City, North Carolina 28557.
To find pharmacies or urgent care centers that are in network for Veteran flu shots:
- Go to this link.
- Then, type in your zip code.
- In the drop box below your zip code, choose either “Urgent Care” or "Community Pharmacies in VA Network”.
- A list should come up and Veterans are able to select where to receive their flu shot. (Call ahead to ensure they are taking walk-ins.)
- Print the Community Care Network Plan and make sure to take this with you.
- Be sure to take your Veterans Health Identification Card (VHIC) with you to get your flu shot.
- Go to these links for more information about seasonal flu Flu Vaccination Summary Sheet and VHA Season Fact Sheet.
Veteran safety is our first priority. VA has adopted safe care methods to deliver flu vaccinations during the Coronavirus pandemic. So, be sure to get your flu shot this year.
As always, we thank you for choosing the Durham VA Health Care System. We look forward to seeing you at the Drive-up Flu Clinic. Stay safe and Mask Up!