Volunteer or Donate
For more information on volunteering, please contact Voluntary Service at (919) 286-0411 ext. 7810 or Ronni.Miller@va.gov
Current Volunteer Opportunities
All positions are available from 8 am to 4:30 pm, Monday – Friday, except if note. There is a minimum of four hours per week and a six-month commitment. All volunteers must undergo a federal background check prior to commencement of volunteering.
Animal Assisted Therapy/Activities: Certified handlers and their dogs will provide therapeutic visits to the residents of the Community Living Center including the Hospice unit.
Cardiology Service: To assist with patient call reminders. Preferred days are Thursday or Friday.
Chaplain Service: Escort wheelchair patients to and from Sunday morning services. (Sundays 9:30am-11: 30am) (Great position for professional folks requires a minimum of once a month)
Dialysis Unit: Assist with the needs of the Dialysis Unit, assisting with stocking of items, visiting patients, clerical needs, and running errands.
Dialysis (Outpatient Dialysis Center at Brier Creek): Assist with clerical duties, phones, and other needs of the Outpatient Dialysis Center.
Emergency Department: Provide volunteer assistance in a fast paced Emergency Department working with healthcare providers and Veteran patients. This is a great opportunity for pre-medical students.
Greenville Health Care Center: Please contact Voluntary Service (252) 830-2149 x3228.
Hillandale Clinic: Serve as ambassador and greeter to our Veterans entering the clinic. Greet and assist with Kiosk check in. Also, visit with Veterans while waiting for appointment during quiet times. Opportunity available any day but Wednesday.
Hospice Unit Volunteer: Provide visits with our hospice Veterans. Must have patience to sit and simply visit also assist at meal time. Logistics Distribution: Assist with delivering and stocking of supplies. Must be able to lift and stand in this position. Great position for all ages and great need.
Nursing Unit Ambassador: Volunteers are scheduled Monday - Friday from 8 am - noon or noon - 4 pm. to serve as the volunteer ambassador on the Nursing unit assisting with escorting, putting away stock, running errands, and other important duties that arise.
Nursing Service Surgery Intensive Care Unit (SICU): Assist the SICU with inventory, stocky of supplies and clerical assistance.
Operating Room (OR): Assist with OR supplies, expiration stock and helping with setting up equipment. Monday - Friday from 6:30 - 9:30 am.
Pathology and Laboratory Medicine Service: Take specimens from accessioning to main core lab. Place specimens in designated receptacles and retrieving specimens. Deliver samples and help stock with Phlebotomy and blood drawing items.
Pharmacy: Assist Pharmacy staff.
Prosthetics Volunteer: Assist the Prosthetics staff with special equipment for our Veteran patients by mailing out items and working with the inventory stock.
Short Stay Unit Family Waiting Room Liaison: Serve as liaison with family and surgical staff. Maintain the Surgical waiting area by making coffee, assisting veterans and guests before and after same day surgery. Openings: Monday, Tuesdays, and Fridays from 8 am - noon and on Fridays from noon - 4 pm.
Short Stay/4B Greeter/Helper: Greet patients admitted to the Short Stay 4B for same day surgery. Escort patient to their bed, provide instructions on use of bed, bed gown, call bell, pass out snacks to postoperative patients, and provide items requested by Veteran patient.
Volunteer Drivers are needed for the following areas: Burlington, Morehead City, Eden, Roxboro, Smithfield/, Wilson Fayetteville, Greensboro, Jacksonville, New Bern, Roanoke Rapids, Rocky Mount, Greenville areas are in great need. Please contact Voluntary Service for more information on the qualifications.
The new E-Donate service, now available online, allows community members who wish to give back to Veterans a quick, safe way to pledge their support. Through E-Donate, donors can select from a number of accounts across Durham VA Health Care System they wish to make a donation. The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs administrative costs are appropriated so donors can be 100 percent confident their donations will go directly to the funds and Veteran patients they select. Click here to E-DONATE!
Any monetary donation may be mailed to the below address or dropped by the Voluntary Service office located at B-1009. All checks should be made out to the Durham VA Medical Center. The intent for use should be provided on the memo line or via an attached letter.
Attention Voluntary Service (135)
508 Fulton Street
Durham, NC 2770
The following is a list of items for the comfort and welfare of our Veteran patients. At this time, there are limited items we are in need of and ask that all donations be restricted to the list of identified items. For the safety of our patients, all items must be new. Please contact Voluntary Service at (919) 286-0411 x7810 for specific questions regarding your desired donation. We are more than happy to assist you.
You may make a monetary donation to any of the following specific funds:
- Recreation Events (includes parties, outings and other special events for our Veteran patients)
- Emergency Welfare (This is a great need. The Emergency Welfare Fund assists Veterans with a onetime emergent need including travel, gas, food and or clothing)
- Greenville HCC (K cups, sugar creamer and other items for coffee program)
- Holiday Fund
- Hospice Fund
- General Purpose (Haircuts for Veteran patients - $15 each and are provided monthly)
- Women Veteran Needs
- Azalea Fund to assist with emergent needs for our OEF/OIF/OND
- National Rehabilitation Events including Adaptive Winter Sports Clinic, Creative Arts Festival, Wheelchair Games and the Golden Age Games. Donations assist us in sending Veterans to these events including transportation and hotel costs.
Dry erase boards size 8X11 are a great, ongoing need of the health care system.
- Hormel complete meals any variety including breakfast meals
- Horizon milk (no refrigeration required until opened)
- Cereal individual packages or bowls
- Blue sweatpants (Elastic bottoms and waist) sizes L-XL-2XXL-4XXL and blue sweatshirts sizes 10 1/2, 11, and 11 1/2, and men's sneakers
- Both regular and decaffeinated cans of coffee for patient coffee program
- We no longer have a need for K cups, crochet lap robes, white socks, or Large T-shirts.
HUD/VASH Program (helps provides permanent housing to Veterans)
- Queen size electric air mattresses with built in pumps (high need)
- Queen size bed in a bag unisex
- Bed pillows
- Stick vacuums
- Pot and pan sets/dishware sets/ silverware
- Towel sets/shower curtain and rod/bathmats
- Movie gift cards to the Phoenix theater at Northgate Mall and concession cards
- Kroger or Food Lion gift cards for resident cooking group
- Restaurant gift cards for outings i.e. TGI Fridays, Golden Corral etc.
- Word Search Puzzle books, decks of cards and electronic games
Fresh Floral Arrangements
Fresh floral arrangements placed in the CLC dining room are a favorite among our patients, especially during the holiday and other fun days such as Valentine’s Day, St. Patrick’s Day, Father’s and Mother’s Day, and July 4.
Books and Magazines
We accept magazines no older than 6 months. We do not accept books.
We are always happy to assist you with your donations by meeting you by the front circle with a cart. Please contact our office in advance so we are able to make arrangements to assist with the unloading. We request that boxed items weigh no more than 20 lbs each please.