Volunteer or Donate
For more information on volunteering, please contact Voluntary Service at (919) 286-0411 ext. 7810 or Ronni.Miller@va.gov
Current Volunteer Opportunities
All positions are available from 8 am to 4:30 pm, Monday – Friday, except if note. There is a minimum of four hours per week and a six-month commitment. All volunteers must undergo a federal background check prior to commencement of volunteering.
Animal Assisted Therapy/Activities: Certified handlers and their dogs will provide therapeutic visits to the residents of the Community Living Center including the Hospice unit.
Cardiology Service: To assist with patient call reminders. Preferred days are Thursday or Friday.
Chaplain Service: Escort wheelchair patients to and from Sunday morning services. (Sundays 9:30am-11: 30am) (Great position for professional folks requires a minimum of once a month)
Dialysis Unit: Assist with the needs of the Dialysis Unit, assisting with stocking of items, visiting patients, clerical needs, and running errands.
Dialysis (Outpatient Dialysis Center at Brier Creek): Assist with clerical duties, phones, and other needs of the Outpatient Dialysis Center.
Emergency Department: Provide volunteer assistance in a fast paced Emergency Department working with healthcare providers and Veteran patients. This is a great opportunity for pre-medical students.
Greenville Health Care Center: Please contact Voluntary Service (252) 830-2149 x3228.
Hillandale Clinic: Serve as ambassador and greeter to our Veterans entering the clinic. Greet and assist with Kiosk check in. Also, visit with Veterans while waiting for appointment during quiet times. Opportunity available any day but Wednesday.
Hospice Unit Volunteer: Provide visits with our hospice Veterans. Must have patience to sit and simply visit also assist at meal time. Logistics Distribution: Assist with delivering and stocking of supplies. Must be able to lift and stand in this position. Great position for all ages and great need.
Nursing Unit Ambassador: Volunteers are scheduled Monday - Friday from 8 am - noon or noon - 4 pm. to serve as the volunteer ambassador on the Nursing unit assisting with escorting, putting away stock, running errands, and other important duties that arise.
Nursing Service Surgery Intensive Care Unit (SICU): Assist the SICU with inventory, stocky of supplies and clerical assistance.
Operating Room (OR): Assist with OR supplies, expiration stock and helping with setting up equipment. Monday - Friday from 6:30 - 9:30 am.
Pathology and Laboratory Medicine Service: Take specimens from accessioning to main core lab. Place specimens in designated receptacles and retrieving specimens. Deliver samples and help stock with Phlebotomy and blood drawing items.
Pharmacy: Assist Pharmacy staff.
Prosthetics Volunteer: Assist the Prosthetics staff with special equipment for our Veteran patients by mailing out items and working with the inventory stock.
Short Stay Unit Family Waiting Room Liaison: Serve as liaison with family and surgical staff. Maintain the Surgical waiting area by making coffee, assisting veterans and guests before and after same day surgery. Openings: Monday, Tuesdays, and Fridays from 8 am - noon and on Fridays from noon - 4 pm.
Short Stay/4B Greeter/Helper: Greet patients admitted to the Short Stay 4B for same day surgery. Escort patient to their bed, provide instructions on use of bed, bed gown, call bell, pass out snacks to postoperative patients, and provide items requested by Veteran patient.
Volunteer Drivers are needed for the following areas: Burlington, Morehead City, Eden, Roxboro, Smithfield/, Wilson Fayetteville, Greensboro, Jacksonville, New Bern, Roanoke Rapids, Rocky Mount, Greenville areas are in great need. Please contact Voluntary Service for more information on the qualifications.
The following is a list of items for the comfort and welfare of our Veteran patients. Please contact Voluntary Service for any questions. Our office phone is (919) 286-0411 x7810. We only accept new items and those that are requested. Any monetary donation may be mailed or dropped by our office B-1009. All checks may be made out to the VA Medical Center and the intent for use is provided either on the memo line or with a letter attached to your donation. Checks can be mailed to the following address:
Durham VA Medical Center
Attention Voluntary Service (135)
508 Fulton Street
Durham, NC 27705
E DONATE IS NOW AVAILABLE FOR CREDIT CARD DONATIONS!
Please go one to our website www.Durham.va.gov and click on the E DONATE Icon!
You may make a monetary donation to any specific funds as follows:
- Recreation Events (includes parties, outings and other special events for our Veteran patients)
- Emergency Welfare (This is a great need. The Emergency Welfare Fund assists Veterans with a onetime emergent need including travel, gas, food and or clothing)
- Greenville HCC (K cups, sugar creamer and other items for coffee program)
- Holiday Fund
- Hospice Fund
- General Purpose
- Women Veteran Needs
- National Rehabilitation Events including Adaptive Winter Sports Clinic, Creative Arts Festival, Wheelchair Games and the Golden Age Games. Donations assist us in sending veterans to these events including transportation and hotel costs.
- Haircut Wednesday is done monthly to provide long term patients with a monthly haircut. Each haircut is $15 per Veteran.
- Hormel complete meals any variety including breakfast meals
- Horizon milk (no refrigeration until opened)
- Cereal individual packages or bowls
- Canned tuna, chicken or other protein enriched items.
- Baby food, diapers and wipes
- Breakfast items non-perishable
- Baby clothes unisex
- L-XL-2XXL 4XXL Blue sweatpants (elastic bottoms and waist) and Blue sweatshirt
- L XL 2XXL Pocket T-shirts
- Men’s underpants L XL 2XXL
- Size 10 ½, 11 and 11 ½ men’s sneakers
- Cans of Coffee for patient coffee program both regular and decaffeinated.
- K CUPS for Hospice (assorted varieties)
For our Hud/VASH program (permanent housing for our Veterans)
- Queen size electric air mattresses (built in pumps) GREAT NEED
- Queen size bed in a bag unisex
- Bed pillows
- Stick vacuums
- Pot and pan sets/dishware sets/ silverware
- Towel sets/shower curtain and rod/bathmats
For our Recreation Department needs
- Movie gift cards to the Phoenix theater at Northgate Mall and concessions cards
- Grocery Store gift cards for resident cooking group
- Restaurant gift cards for outings i.e. TGI Fridays, Golden Corral etc
- Word Search Puzzle books, decks of cards and electronic games
- iTunes gift cards for Music Therapy
Fresh floral arrangements to be placed in the CLC dining room especially holiday specific such as Valentine’s Day, St. Patrick’s Day and other fun holidays throughout the year. Please remember Father’s and Mother’s Day, July 4th and other fun days.
We accept magazines no older than 6 months
We do not accept books.
We are always happy to assist you with your donations by meeting you by the front circle with a cart. Please contact our office in advance so we are able to make arrangements to assist with the unloading. We request that boxed items weigh no more than 20 lbs each please.